My name is Alan Maddocks. I set up Beacon Hill Striders in 2006 to support, and provide advice and guidance, to my three sons and their friends who took part in local Schools cross-country races.
Since then the group has expanded and evolved, with individual members achieving success at local, regional, national, and international/Olympic level.
Prior to this, I was a successful competitive runner for over twenty-five years (1978 – 2003). During that time I won numerous races on road, track, and country, including Leicestershire County Cross-Country and Track titles at both senior and veteran/masters levels.
During my competitive years I represented:
Wales; Welsh Veterans/Masters; British Students; & Leicestershire.
I won the North Midlands Cross-Country League individual title in 1985, and was in the top 5 ranked UK veterans/masters at 5 Miles in the year 2000 with a time of 25 minutes & 21 seconds (at age 42)
My all time personal bests are: 5K: 14-30; 5000m: 14-45.5; 5M: 24-17; 10K: 30-22; 10000m: 30-28.5; 10M: 50-33; & HM: 66-37
In addition to having been a competitive runner, and more recently an advisor, guide and mentor to young athletes, I have always been an enthusiastic “student of the sport”. I have read and researched numerous books, articles and research papers about running, coaching, and training theory, and have built up an extensive library of running related resources.
As a training advisor/guide/mentor I offer:
- Considerable (25 years) experience as a successful runner gained from competing at local, national and international level
- Nearly fifteen years experience of advising/mentoring young runners to achieve at international, national, regional, & county level
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of training theory and practice gained from extensive reading and research over more than four decades
- Planning, organisational, and communication skills developed as a project manager and educator
- A history of delivering successful outcomes and achieving desired results
In addition, I am currently (2020) the Leicestershire & Rutland AA County Secretary & County XC (Senior & U20M) Team Manager. … In this capacity I am working to enhance the quality of distance running within the County through initiatives such as the ‘2020 County Endurance Running Challenge’. (further details on request)
Please read the Testimonials from some of those I have advised/guided.
Should you wish to explore how I might be able to unlock your potential, then please do Contact Me.