My name is Alan Maddocks. I set up Beacon Hill Striders in 2006 to support, and provide advice and guidance, to my three sons and their friends who took part in local Schools cross-country races.
Since then the group has expanded and evolved, with individual members achieving success at local, regional, national, and international/Olympic level.
Prior to this, I was a successful competitive runner for over twenty-five years (1978 – 2003). During that time I won numerous races on road, track, and country, including Leicestershire County Cross-Country and Track titles at both senior and veteran/masters levels.
During my competitive years I represented:
Wales; Welsh Veterans/Masters; British Students; & Leicestershire.
I won the North Midlands Cross-Country League individual title in 1985, and was in the top 5 ranked UK veterans/masters at 5 Miles in the year 2000 with a time of 25 minutes & 21 seconds (at age 42)
My all time personal bests are: 5K: 14-30; 5000m: 14-45.5; 5M: 24-17; 10K: 30-22; 10000m: 30-28.5; 10M: 50-33; & HM: 66-37
I am no longer a competitive runner, though I do harbour an ambition/dream to run a sub 20 minute Parkrun 5K at age 60!
In addition to having been a competitive runner, and more recently an advisor, guide and mentor to young athletes, I have always been an enthusiastic “student of the sport”. I have read and researched numerous books, articles and research papers about running, coaching, and training theory, and have built up an extensive library of running related resources.
As a training advisor/guide/mentor I offer:
- Considerable (25 years) experience as a successful runner gained from competing at local, national and international level
- Nearly ten years experience of advising/mentoring young runners to achieve at international, national, regional, & county level
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of training theory and practice gained from extensive reading and research over nearly four decades
- Planning, organisational, and communication skills developed as a project manager and educator
- A history of delivering successful outcomes and achieving desired results
As of 2015 I am expanding the scope of Beacon Hill Striders (beyond a highly-successful local training group) to now offering the running community at large an opportunity to not only access a range of resources, but to benefit from a portfolio of affordable services that can help you to achieve your running goals and ambitions.
Please read the Testimonials from some of those I have advised/guided.
Should you wish to explore how I might be able to unlock your potential, then please do Contact Me.